Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The So Very Famous Tomato Sauce


If you read cooking blogs at all, I'm sure you know that most food bloggers are quite taken by the tomato-onion-butter-sauce. I don't know if I really need to talk about how wonderful it is - I think you need to make it and stuff your face.

Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions
(which I adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted it from Marcela Hazan)
28 oz of whole peeled tomatoes from a can
14 oz of crushed tomatoes (left over from another cooking adventure the night before)
"5 tablespoons" of butter (I don't think I actually used 5, probably less)
1 medium onion, halved
6 packages of raw Plantation sugar
black pepper to taste

Place tomatoes (whole and crushed) into the pot, with halved onion and add about 1 table spoon of butter on medium heat. I like letting the butter melt and I stir it in with the spoon - I let it simmer on low-medium heat. Stirring every so often. I add 3 packages of sugar (stolen from Starbucks - found at my grandma's... cos I didn't steal it. Just saying) and stir some more, add another 1.5 table spoons of butter. Repeat about 20 minutes in (sugar and butter), cover and simmer until sauce has thickened. After, discard onion and mix with pasta.

I usually use penne or something spirally but I saw the Zita No 10 and thought it was awesome. No, I was wrong. It wasn't and the longness of the pasta didn't work well with the sauce. So I just took a pair of scissors and cut them into a shorter pasta.

2 comments:

  1. Hazan's sauce is legendary, and one of the few my hubby can make w/ precision. It turns such a lovely, unique orange, too - quite something. Great last shot - iPhone? "Toy" camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a hassle-free dinner that's always delicious. Nothing beats it :)

    Yeah, that iphone app (colour process) is really the best 99 cent I've ever spent.

    ReplyDelete