Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nom nom!

yup, I certainly did spell "caramelized" wrong. Oh well. Please don't judge.

I've never been much of a baker, mostly because I like to make things up as I go and that's not really a trait that works well with baking. There's a precision and a certain something that comes with the baking territory and I possess neither. But I'm trying to do different things and be more adventurous in my undertakings in the kitchen... So I settled for baking cookies. I mean, who doesn't like cookies?

I saw a recipe for a cornflake choco chip cookie and then I remembered the recipe I saw for caramelized cornflakes for another cookie recipe. I put them together and tweaked a couple of things and the results were favorable...and delicious.

Carmelized Cornflakes 
adapted from Momofuku for 2
1 1/2 c cornflakes
6 tbsp milk powder
2 tbsp sugar
(almost) 1 tsp salt
7 (5 would have been better) tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 275 F. Lightly crush cornflakes with wooden spoon in a bowl/container (I did it in a tall plastic container). Mix together milk powder, sugar and salt in another bowl. Melt butter and pour over cornflakes. Toss evenly until cornflakes are coated and toss milk powder mixture with the cornflakes. Spread on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.

Let it cool completely before use*.

*I didn't... not really.

DISCLAIMER: Honestly, this is going to sound disgusting... but I was pretty tired from my day of work and when the cornflakes were done and I tried some, I would have been more than content to have just eaten the cornflakes like that as a dessert. Yeah. Gross. BUT DELICIOUS.

Also: I never used to think the Christina Tosi was that amazing - but mostly because I don't like hype. But any woman who loves the use of milk powder as much as she does deserves some sort of praise. She has certainly won me over - but she's probably used to that sort of thing... you know, fandom. OH. I'm excited for the upcoming cook book. So very excited. 

Cornflake Choco Chip Cookies 
adapted from Cook Republic

Approximately 9 tbsp (although next time I will use less) unsalted butter, chopped & softened
150 ml of caster sugar (also will use less next time because of caramelized cornflakes & added corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup of flour, sifted
2 tbs milk (I upped the milk because the dough seemed a bit dry)
1 1/2 caramelized cornflakes
2/3 c of semi-sweet choco chips
1/4 cup of corn syrup (you could skip this... the syrup just made the cookie kinda chewy)

Cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add flour a bit at a time, mix on low speed until well combined. Add milk. Stir in cornflakes and choco bits. Bake for about 10-12* minutes until light golden.

*I baked mine for about 11 minutes because I only had a small scoop and the cookies were pretty miniature. My first batch was burnt and so I adjusted the baking time. The edges gets all crispy and because mine were so small that the cookie wasn't that chewy. But chewy enough. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment